I stopped by the City Quilter yesterday to pick up 6.5 yards of fabric for the back of my Pinwheel Quilt.
I first saw this fabric in Lancaster, but I was nervous that it would end up giving my quilt a bug theme.
A month later, it’s the only fabric I think works with the project. I kind of love the bug theme! A few years ago, I went to a talk by E.O. Wilson and became fascinated with the process of categorizing and naming bugs. E.O. has found and named more species of ants than any other person in the world. I think the idea of traveling to remote jungles to find bugs sounds very romantic, but I really respect the painstaking work of actually digging through the dirt, observing these creatures, and recording it for the rest of the world. I am especially thrilled by the people who did this before digital cameras and so they drew these bugs with photographic accuracy. These people were adventurers, nerds, and artists rolled into one.
For the past couple years, I’ve been searching for a book that has sketchings of bugs that I could cut out and frame with almost no luck. I was shocked to find this fabric that has almost exactly the type of drawing and field notes I have had such a hard time finding on paper.
Plus, it matches Aesop’s eyes.
I’ve had a harder time deciding which border would work best.
A few weeks ago I went to City Quilter and found this fabric. It is a coordinating color for some of the fabrics that are already in my quilt, but it’s not in any of the blocks.
It was a fast trip to the shop, and I was there on other business, so I didn’t purchase it until I went back yesterday.
I like how the dark border makes the light green in the sashing pop.
Of course, when I stopped by yesterday, I found another fabric that I loved. I didn’t have my quilt with me, so I wasn’t sure how they would look together.
I like how the butterflies start the bug theme in the front. The backing fabric also has some specs of shiny gold in it.
I am not sure if I like the quilt better with a lighter frame though. I think I’ll take the fabrics outside so I can get some distance and see the colors more accurately…